Thursday Note 8th February 2018February 8th, 2018
We hope you are well this week. Our news is as follows
- Senior Infants started Literacy Lift Off this week. This intervention takes place Monday to Thursday for one hour each day for six weeks. Each day the pupils will read a familiar book, a new book, take part in word work, do some writing and work on comprehension activities around the books they are reading. The children work in small groups for Literacy Lift Off and are supported by their class teacher Ms. Kelleher. Ms. Riordan, Ms Fitzsimons, Ms. Hogan and the principal, Ms. Fitzgerald. So far the teachers have been very impressed with the great work that Seniors have done already this week. Keep up the good work Senior Infants!
- On Friday last Junior and Senior Infants had a visit from Dr. Hackett as part of their Aistear work. Over the month of January the theme for Aistear was the doctor’s surgery. Dr. Hackett showed the pupils his doctor’s bag and some of the items he carries in it. The pupils also got an opportunity to ask the doctor some questions about his work. Dr. Hackett was very impressed with the vocabulary that the pupils had learnt and the very interesting questions he was asked. He also spoke to the pupils about the importance of eating healthily and feeding our minds and bodies with good food such as porridge, fruit and vegetables.
- The school photographer was in the school yesterday and he took all family and individual photos. He did not take the class photos for Junior Infants or 6th class as there were a lot of pupils absent due to illness. He will come back another day to do these photos. We will let you know when we get the date.
- The Parents’ Association are holding a cake sale on Tuesday next at 1p.m. here in the school. All donations of buns/cakes etc will be gratefully accepted. Please see a note in relation to this going home today.
- On Monday next all classes will take part in a Maths Games Day. Every class has prepared two maths games to demonstrate to the other classes in the school. Pupils will get a chance to come to the hall at different times on Monday next to see the games from all the classes. It sounds like it’s going to be fun!
- The Department of Education has published updated Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary schools following the recent publication of the updated Children First: National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children and the full commencement of the Children First Act 2015. The Department of Education and Skills is allowing all schools two separate half-day closures during the 2017/18 school year to allow time for all school personnel to engage with the revised procedures and to access training support. St. Tolas will take the first half day on Wednesday 14th Feb when the school will close to pupils at 12p.m.
- Just a reminder that mid-term will take place on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th Feb when the school will be closed to pupils. St. Tola’s will re-open on Monday 19th
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal