Thursday Note 25th JuneJune 25th, 2020
We have come to the end of what has been a most unusual school year for all of us. Our news for the last time this school year is
- Congratulations to our 6th Class pupils who have officially left St Tolas and are looking ahead to great adventures in secondary school. This class made history this week as we held the first ever virtual graduation. All the staff were so delighted that every 6th pupil was able to attend and it was a very special occasion in the life of the school. The pupils handled this event in a dignified and mature way and we were so proud of each and every one of you! Thank you to all our 6th class pupils who sent in their video of their memories of St Tolas and also the advice they would give their Junior Infant selves. There were a lot of words of wisdom in these videos. Thank you to Ms Kelleher for co-ordinating the graduation and Mr. Quinn who spent hours putting the video together. It can be viewed on the school website at www.tolasns.com We wish all our 6th class pupils every good wish as they take the next step in their education journey.
- Thank you to all the pupils in St Tolas who have been amazing in the past few weeks while the school has been closed. We have loved seeing your pictures and work that you have sent in. Again please check out the school website where there have been lots of updated pictures including some from Active Schools Week last week!
- Well done to Juniors, Seniors, 1st and 2nd classes who took part in Zoom link ups last Friday and yesterday. It was wonderful to see so many of you. You look so well and many of you have grown. It was great to hear all your news. We heard that lots of pupils can now cycle without stabilisers, many lost teeth or have wobbly teeth and everyone can’t wait to see their friends again. We can’t wait to see you either!!
- We will be busy in the summer as we will be carrying out renovations to the senior yard, drainage work and associated groundworks. We are very excited to see this project finally start and it will make a great difference to the space we will have available for the pupils to use.
- We are planning for a full return to school on 31st Aug as per school calendar. We are still waiting on guidance from the Department of Education on how this will happen. Once we have clarity on this we will be in touch with you to let you know.
- We are still finalising booklists and stationary for all classes. As usual the school will buy all books and we will ask you to pay by the middle of September. The booklists for your info will be emailed out soon. Also we will be setting up an online payment facility for books before we return to school in August.
- I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to all the staff of St Tolas who have worked so hard during the past year and especially during the school closure. It has been a challenging and stressful time for all and the staff have been dedicated, innovative and professional as they have worked hard in providing support to our pupils. I would also like to thank all parents/guardians and families for your support throughout the past year. It is very important that both families and staff get a chance to recharge the batteries and get a good rest before we return to school.
Slán agus beannacht
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Graduation 2020June 23rd, 2020
Not to let anything stop this class, as it wouldn’t be their way, 6th class had a lovely Graduation ceremony this morning, albeit remotely via Zoom. Ms. Fitzgerald and Ms. Kelleher spoke warmly of their experiences with the children and shared some important messages which we hope they’ll bring with them to secondary school. Thanks to all the children for sharing all their happy memories and giving advice on the video. We hope you like it!! Well done 6th class, you’ve all been amazing and we’ll miss you dearly.
Cula4 schedule for 22nd to 25th juneJune 22nd, 2020
5th Class Bug HotelsJune 19th, 2020
5th Class were tasked with making a home for all the creepy crawlies that they could leave in their gardens!! You’ll see many wonderful creations if you look through our photos!! You’ll notice that most Bug Hotels were made out of recyclable materials. Some of us even got to learn how to work safely with our parents tools!! Well done 5th class!!
Thursday Note 18th June 2020June 18th, 2020
We hope you are keeping well as we are almost at the end of the current school year. Our news this week is as follows
- We are still waiting for guidelines and clarification from the Department of Education re return to school for the coming year. As soon as we have this we will be in touch with you. Please note that this update may be during the summer holidays.
- The school calendar for the school year 2020/21 has been approved by the Board of Management. Please find a copy attached with this newsletter and it will be published on the school website also. Pupils will return to school on Mon 31st August.
- School reports were posted out to all families last Friday. If you did not receive your report please contact the school office at email@example.com or 061 362894.
- Ború Sports will have school tracksuits for sale over the summer. If you need to order a tracksuit please contact them directly. Prices and contact details are being sent out with this newsletter.
- For the school year 20/21 teachers have been allocated to the following classes
Junior Infants – Lorraine Connolly, Junior Infants – Lisa Hackett, Senior Infants – Fiona Burke, 1st Class – Karen Riordan, 2nd Class – Lorna O’ Neill, 3rd Class – Diana Fleming ( Kelly Ann Brady will cover maternity leave until Ms Fleming returns) 4th Class – Noreen Vaughan, 5th Class – David Quinn, 6th Class – Siobhan Kelleher Special Education teachers – Clare Fitzsimons, Ciara Cleary, Edel Halliday, Maria Hehir and Amanda Corry.
- Cofirmation for St Tolas will take place on 30th July at 11a.m. in Mary Immaculate. We have no dates for First Communion yet but it is likely that it will go ahead in September.
- The 6th class graduation will take place next Tues 23rd June at 11a.m. via Zoom. The link will be sent out to 6th class parents.
- Well done to 3rd and 4th class who attended a zoom link up last Friday. We have further link ups scheduled for 3rd, 2nd and 1st classes this week. Please note that it can be difficult sometimes to get everyone admitted.
- We really need to get the rental books back before the end of the current school year to check them and ensure we will have enough books for classes in September. To ensure we adhere to social distancing protocols we will arrange a drop off system for tomorrow Fri 19th June from 1p.m. to 4p.m. This will be similar to the book collection we did a few weeks ago. Junior Infants do not need to return any books. Seniors-2nd class have guided reading books only to return. 3rd -6th class have textbooks and also AR books to return. You can nominate another adult to return them for you if necessary. We would appreciate that only one adult drops them off to maintain social distancing protocols and to protect staff. The times allocated are as follows
- Pupils whose surnames start with A- G 1p.m.-2p.m.
- Pupils whose surnames start with H-O 2p.m.-3p.m.
- Pupils whose surnames start with P-Z 3p.m-4p.m.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal