Thursday Note 6th May 2021May 6th, 2021
We hope you are well as we start the first week in May. Our news this week is as follows
- Last week was National Active Schools Week. Each class participated in a Run Around Clare Challenge, with some classes still completing laps this week. This involved the class going out to the astro turf to run some laps each day and keeping a tally on their totals. Teachers have noticed a huge improvement in concentration and fitness levels . 4th Class used their maths skills to calculate how far they had run; their total was a massive 100km 210m! 2nd class also calculated their total, coming in at 150km clocked up. Well done to all classes for getting involved! We look forward to more active school activities this term.
- Shannon Tidy Towns have contacted us to let us know that in conjunction with Clare County Council there are a number of “ no cut” zones around the town for the summer. These will be areas left to grow wild and grass will only be trimmed every six weeks. It is hoped to leave these areas wild to encourage biodiversity. There will be signage at these locations to help the public identify different species of plants etc. The nearest location to the school is near Cluain Airne. We hope that some of our classes will get to visit on a nature walk over the coming weeks.
- The school photographer will be here on Tuesday next 11th May . All pupils who have completed forms will have their photo taken. Due to Covid restrictions we will not be in a position to supply school jumpers or ties so please ensure your child has their school jumper on if they are getting their photo taken.
- 4th class recently completed lovely self portraits following a study of some of the art of Picasso. These look great. Well done to 4th class!
- 2nd class have been busy making hot air balloons out of card and paper. These must have taken a lot of time. They look great. Keep up the good work 2nd class!
- 5th class have been learning about the world’s strangest predators this week. They found out interesting facts about the box jellyfish, the anaconda and the great white shark among others. Sounds interesting 5th!
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal