Thursday Note 3rd June 2021June 3rd, 2021
We hope you are keeping well and looking forward to the long weekend. Our news is as follows
- The four initial rounds of Quizbrain have now been completed with all pupils from 3rd-6th classes taking part. We are just doing the final tallys to see what pupils have the highest scores. The top 20 will go through to two semi-finals which will take place in the next two weeks. The 5 highest scores from these rounds will go through to the final on 24th June. We have adapted to Covid 19 restrictions and the quiz has taken place via zoom so far. Thanks to the class teachers for setting the questions for the first four rounds. Well done to all the pupils involved!
- When the current 6th class pupils were in Senior Infants their teachers (Ms Cleary and Ms Moloney) put together a time capsule to be opened when the pupils got to 6th class. the time has now come and I believe the time capsule will be opened shortly in 6th class. It will be great to see what was important to the pupils when they were in Senior Infants. More details next week re the contents of the time capsule!
- We had great excitement Monday morning last when we arrived into school and saw a hedgehog in our astro turf. He (or she – we’re not sure) had somehow got into the astro turf but could not find its way back out. Our caretaker Kevin came to the rescue and got the creature into a box. One brave teacher stepped forward – Ms Hehir from 5th class and picked it up. We couldn’t let this opportunity pass us by so each class got a chance to come out and see the hedgehog up close and personal. It had rolled itself into a ball with just its nose peeping out. See the school twitter page @sttolasns or the website for more. You will be glad to know that when everyone went back to class Kevin released it back into its own habitat. Let’s hope the hedgehog enjoyed his visit to St Tolas!
- A meeting for the parents of incoming Junior infants took place last night via Zoom. It was lovely to see such a great attendance. We are looking forward to meeting with our new Juniors at the end of August and getting to know them.
- Shannon Library will run their Summer Stars Reading Adventure again this year. Please see attached flyer from the Library with all the details.
- St. Tolas is closed tomorrow Friday 4th June and Monday next 7th June for the bank holiday weekend. We will reopen on Tuesday 8th June at 9a.m. We hope you all have a safe and enjoyable long weekend.
Kind regards, Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal