Thursday Note 17th JuneJune 17th, 2021
I hope this finds you well as we head towards our last week of school in the current academic year. Our news this week is as follows
- Our first Sports day took place on Tuesday last with Juniors, 2nd, 4th and 6th class participating in outdoor activities while Seniors, 1st, 3rd and 5th did indoor activities. The outdoor groups did musical hoops (although Juniors are calling them disco hoops as I believe they got to show some moves!!!), an obstacle course, badminton and games and parachute activities in the astro turf. They also took part in running races, spud and spoon race, sack race and three-legged race. Well done to these four classes for their terrific involvement and positive sporting attitude. The indoor groups did yoga, dance, art activities and a mini obstacle course in the infant yard. Again, they showed a great attitude and willingness to give it a go. Today the groups reverse with Seniors, 1st, 3rd and 5th outdoors in the main. We are looking forward to another great Sport for All day!
- Many classes from 1st-6th took part in orienteering today around the school with the remainder doing orienteering next week. It was lots of fun trying to find the clues and solve the puzzles. Thanks to Ms Hehir for organising orienteering.
- End of year reports will be posted out to all families this week. If you have any query in relation to this please contact your child’s teacher who will be happy to discuss the reports with you.
- Our 6th class graduation will take place next Thursday 24th June at 11a.m. in the 6th classroom. Unfortunately, due to Covid precautions we cannot invite parents to attend in person but we will send out a zoom link to 6th class parents who can attend virtually. 6th class were presented with their end of school hoodies last Friday in a little ceremony in the yard. Thanks to 5th and 4th classes who joined us outside and gave a great cheer to our 6th class pupils.
- Children in 3rd and 4th Classes are participating in a series of online webinars this week. The children are learning all about Tom Crean and his adventures to the South Pole. The three 30 minute webinars take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and tell us all about each of Tom’s expeditions to the South Pole. There are also lots of interesting facts; did you know that it would take 161 Irelands to cover the continent of Antarctica?! 3rd and 4th enjoyed Wednesday’s lesson and are looking forward to the next two!
- We have organised a bouncy castle to come to the school next Tuesday. Each class will get a scheduled time on their own to play on it. Thank you to the Parents’ association who are funding this. Pupils to wear their tracksuit and runners on this day. It’s a good idea to send in an extra drink with your child too (preferably water) as they may be extra thirsty.
- St. Tola’s closes for the summer holidays next Friday 25th June at 12p.m. This has been an extraordinary year dealing with the restrictions imposed by the pandemic and having remote learning for most of Term 2. It has been wonderful having everyone back for Term 3.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal