Thursday Note 28th April 2022April 28th, 2022
Welcome to Term 3 in our current school year. I hope you had an enjoyable and fun Easter break. Our news this week is as follows
- We have emailed you a short survey today in relation to our school uniform. We would be grateful if you could complete this as soon as possible to inform our policy into the future.
- Thank you to our Parents’ Association who organised an Easter egg raffle for every class before the holidays. A total of €482 was raised. They also provided every child with a little Easter treat which was distributed on the day of the holidays also.
- A GAA coach will provide a short session to pupils in Juniors, Seniors 1st and 2nd classes every Wednesday for six weeks. The pupils will cover skills in fundamental movements in a fun and age appropriate way. Juniors, Seniors and 1st class started yesterday with 2nd taking part from next week.
- The First Communion ceremony will take place next Saturday in Mary Immaculate Church at 10.30a.m. We wish all our pupils taking part every blessing on their special day. We hope that they and their families have an enjoyable and memorable day marking this milestone.
- St Senans Rugby are offering an 8 week programme for girls from age 8 to 14 starting next Tue 3rd May @ 6.30 to 7.30pm in St. Senan’s Rugby pitch. Cost is 10euro in total for the 8 weeks.
- On behalf of all in the school community I would like to extend sincere sympathies to Edel Halliday and her family on the recent death of her mother Madge McFadden. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dilís.
- St. Tola’s is closed to pupils next Monday 2nd May as it is a public holiday. St Tola’s will re-open at 9a.m. on Tuesday next. St. Tola’s will be closed to all pupils on Monday 16th May as all staff will be attending in-service training.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 7th April 2022April 7th, 2022
We hope you are well as we come to the end of Term 2. Our news this week is as follows
- Swimming lessons will commence for pupils in 4th, 5th and 6th classes after Easter on Tuesday 26th April. These lessons will take place in Shannon Leisure Centre. The cost will be €3.50 per lesson. This can be paid weekly either in cash or via the Aladdin app. Shannon Leisure Centre has informed us that all pupils will require their own swimming hat. As swimming is part of the Physical Education curriculum all pupils are expected to attend unless there is a medical reason that prevents them from attending.
- Our pupils in 2nd class making First Communion are busy this week preparing for the big day. This will take place on Saturday 30th April – just after we return from the Easter holidays. We wish them well in their preparations.
- The Parents’ Association have organised an Easter raffle for each class. There is a prize of a large Easter egg and a small Easter egg for each class. tickets cost 1 for €2 and 3 for €5. The draws will take place tomorrow.
- Our Aoibhneas class have sent out a request that you might be able to help us with. They are looking for 1 or 2 steps such as those used in Step Aerobics. If any family had one that they no longer use Aoibhneas would be very happy if you could give it to them. Please contact the office if you would like to donate a step.
- As we come to the end of Term 2 I would like to thank all staff, pupils and parents/guardians for your co-operation in relation to Covid over the past term. It has been challenging with many staff, pupils and parents testing positive. We are very grateful that you inform the school when this is the case and that you followed public health guidance in relation to isolating and remaining home from school. I know many families are concerned re their child’s attendance. The Education Welfare Officer has assured me that they will not be taking any action in relation to absences due to Covid or illness. We hope that in the final term this year that the incidence of Covid circulating in the community will drop significantly.
- St. Tola’s will close to pupils and staff at 12p.m. tomorrow Friday 8th April. We will re-open on Monday 25th April at 9a.m. I wish all pupils, staff and parents/guardians an enjoyable and relaxing break. I hope that you get to enjoy many Easter eggs and spend time with family and friends.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 31st March 2022April 1st, 2022
We hope you are enjoying the bright Spring weather today. Our news is as follows
- 4th, 5th and 6th classes took part in a soccer blitz on Monday and Tuesday this week. There were mixed teams of 5 with pupils from all 3 classes on each team. It was organised on a knock out basis with Team 2 winning the tournament. We intend to organise another blitz in a different sport next term for the pupils. Thank you to Mr. Tyrell, Ms Hehir and Ms Willis for organising this event.
- Congratulations to all pupils for their efforts last week as part of Friendship week. Lots of pupils were making a big effort and carrying out random acts of kindness. Visitors to the school often comment on the lovely atmosphere here in St Tolas and how welcoming and friendly the pupils are. This has been in evidence lately too as we welcome some pupils who have come from Ukraine to our school. We hope they will settle in and be very happy in their time here in St Tolas.
- Well done to all our pupils who have adjusted to our new yard routines since we all came back together for one break and one lunch last week. We have been blessed with lovely weather and it is so lovely to see pupils chatting, playing games or drawing with chalk on the ground. Teachers on yard duty are watching out for pupils being kind and playing fairly. It is great to see so many pupils making a big effort in this area.
- A Confirmation preparation Mass will take place this Sunday 3rd April in Mary Immaculate Church at 11a.m. Pupils wear their uniform for this Mass. They can sit with their parents/guardians in the Church. We look forward to Confirmation taking place on 6th May.
- Our pupils in Aoibhneas class went on a nature walk today. They were looking and listening for the signs of Spring while out and about. They are also making buns today and earlier this week they planted lettuce. Well done Aoibhneas pupils!
- On behalf of all in the school community I would like to extend our condolences to Siobhan Casey who works in our Aoibhneas class on the recent death of her mother. We think of Siobhan and her family at this difficult time. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam dilís.
- St. Tolas will close at 12p.m. next Friday 8th April for the Easter holidays. St. Tolas will re-open on Monday 25th April at 9a.m.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal