Thursday Note 25th May 2023May 25th, 2023
We hope you are keeping well. Our news this week is as follows
- Well done to 4th class who went on their school tour to UL last Friday. They participated in lots of activities such as the inflatable water slide, swimming in the Olympic sized swimming pool, challenges such as hula hoop challenge and last person standing. It was an action packed day and everyone did really well. 5th class did the same tour yesterday and had a great day too. Both classes were complimented by the school tour operator in relation to how well they participated and how pleasant they were to work with. Well done 4th and 5th!
- Congratulations to Ilan in 1st class who recently represented Ireland at the European School Chess Tournament. He came 6th overall which is a fantastic achievement. Well done Ilan!
- 1st and 2nd class are very excited about their tour to Turroe Pet Farm which takes place tomorrow. I hope the weather will stay fine and that the boys and girls have a great tour. Junior and Senior Infants are going to Turroe next Tuesday and I know they are looking forward to the trip.
- We are holding Round 1 of our annual Quizbrain competition today in St Tola’s. This is a quiz for pupils in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th classes. There will be four rounds of 30 questions first for all pupils in 3rd to 6th. The questions will be devised by the class teachers at these levels. The top 20 pupils with the highest score will go through to two semi -final rounds of 30 questions each organised by the principal. From this the top 5 pupils with the highest score will go through to a final to be held on Monday 26th June. Good luck to all our Quizbrainers!
- Last Tuesday 5th and 6th classes had a visit from Bev who runs a hogsprickle (hedgehog hospital). She gave a great presentation on hedgehogs and biodiversity and what we can do to help nature and wildlife. She talked about her work rescuing injured hedgehogs and what she needs to do to help rehabilitate them. The pupils learned some amazing hedgehog facts also. Did you know that hedgehog quills can move independently of each other and that there are different types? She brought a hedgehog into the room to show the pupils. Everyone had to be really quiet so as not to upset the hedgehog. The pupils were fantastic and asked really good questions. Well done 5th and 6th!
- 4th class are playing St. Senans 4th class tomorrow in a friendly challenge match. Thank you to 5th class who played 4th today in a warm up practise game.
- Next Wednesday we will have a visit from the mobile farm. The farm will be here all day and every class will get an opportunity to interact and learn about the animals. Don’t be surprised to see some chickens, cows, sheep and more in the yard next Wednesday!
- 5th class and Solas class went on a visit to the Biodiversity garden this morning. They got to see all the flowers and plants there. They got lovely weather for outdoor learning this morning.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, School Principal