Thursday Note 9th November 2023November 9th, 2023
We hope you are keeping well and had a good mid-term break last week. Our news this week is as follows
- Our Parent/teacher meetings for 3rd-6th classes will take place on Wednesday 22nd November and Thursday 23rd November this year. The school will close to pupils on Wed 23rd November at 2.25 pm only to facilitate the meetings. You will receive a text with times allocated today. Pupil/teacher meetings for pupils from Juniors to 2nd class will take place in January. If you need to speak with a teacher at any stage please contact the school office and we can arrange a mutually suitable time for this to take place.
- We are looking at our attendance rates across the school at present. It is so important for your child to attend every day unless they are unwell. We thank you for your co-operation in letting the school know via a phonecall/email or on Aladdin the reasons for your child’s absence. We are very pleased that the overall attendance rates have increased from last year for the month of September and October. For September 2023 we have an overall attendance rate of 95.8% and for October the rate was 94%. This is fantastic! Research shows that having your child attend school every day unless they are unwell leads to much improved outcomes both in the academic, social and emotional areas of learning. If you are struggling with your child’s attendance please contact the school and we will put supports in place to help you. To aid you in monitoring days missed we will send out a text if your child misses 10 days/15 days/20 days. Once again we thank you for your co-operation in ensuring your child is attending school regularly.
- We wish our boys’ football team all the best today as they play a team from Kilrush in the Cumann na mBunscoil semi-finals. It has been difficult to get the games played in this tournament this year due to the weather. Let’s hope the game goes ahead today!
- Pupils from 4th, 5th and 6th classes will play football tomorrow in Wolfe Tones GAA pitch (weather permitting) as part of the Paddy Carrig tournament. We wish them well.
- Thank you to the Parents’ Association who organised a fantastic cake sale before mid-term. A total of €801.07 was raised. The AGM was held last night here in the school. The following are continuing in their roles on the Parents’ Association – Sinead Tuohy – Chairperson, Beth Hickey – Secretary, Kate Flynn – Treasurer.
- Sixth class were lucky to have two visiting authors for their third and final workshop in the Ennis Book Club Festival Series. Sarah Moore Fitzgerald was joined by local author Gráinne O’Brien who has published ‘A Limerick Fairytale’, a modern take on Cinderella which is set in Limerick. Today the class did a critical analysis of old fairytales with the authors as well as poetry writing. The class has been invited to a workshop with other schools involved in the series. It will be held in Glór (Ennis) next March.
Kind regards, Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, School Principal