Thursday Note 7th February 2019February 7th, 2019
We hope you are well this week. Our news is as follows
- The pupils in 2nd class who are making their First Communion this year will have First Confession next Tuesday 12th February in Mary Immaculate Church at 7p.m. Pupils wear their school uniform to this event. The pupils have been busy preparing for this important step on their journey towards First Communion and we wish them well.
- Pupils from 3rd-6th classes are attending the University of Limerick today for a practise for the Peace Proms concert which will take place on 2nd March. The pupils have performed a selection of their songs for us at Cruinniu over the past few weeks and they have sounded fantastic.
- The staff in St. Tolas are always conscious of the issue of the weight of schoolbags for pupils. We have installed baskets under all the desks from 3rd-6th class. Pupils may leave books at school that they do not need for homework. In the Senior classes teachers regularly get pupils to empty bags so that they are not bringing home unnecessary books. It is a good idea for parents to check bags regularly at home also as pupils can have extra books from home, old drink bottles, lunches, etc in the bag and this all contributes to the weight. Also pupils do not need huge pencil cases with lots of markers, pencils, rulers etc. Depending on the age/stage of the child one or two pencils, one or two pens, one rubber, one sharpener and one pen is sufficient. If they want to bring colours a small selection is fine. If you have a concern in relation to your child’s schoolbag or any other issue please speak to your child’s teacher about it. If you contact the school office to make an appointment this would be greatly appreciated.
- The school will be closed to pupils on Wednesday 20th February to facilitate a staff training day on the Primary Language Curriculum. This leads into mid-term and the school will be closed on Thursday and Friday 21st and 22nd February for mid-term.
- The Shannon Resource Centre hopes to offer the Rainbows programme in the near future. This is a 9 week listening, group support programme for children who have experienced loss through bereavement or parental separation. It is suitable for children from the age of 7. Rainbows is NOT counselling or professional therapy. For more information please contact Regine or Colette at 061 707600.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal