Thursday Note 25th JuneJune 25th, 2020
We have come to the end of what has been a most unusual school year for all of us. Our news for the last time this school year is
- Congratulations to our 6th Class pupils who have officially left St Tolas and are looking ahead to great adventures in secondary school. This class made history this week as we held the first ever virtual graduation. All the staff were so delighted that every 6th pupil was able to attend and it was a very special occasion in the life of the school. The pupils handled this event in a dignified and mature way and we were so proud of each and every one of you! Thank you to all our 6th class pupils who sent in their video of their memories of St Tolas and also the advice they would give their Junior Infant selves. There were a lot of words of wisdom in these videos. Thank you to Ms Kelleher for co-ordinating the graduation and Mr. Quinn who spent hours putting the video together. It can be viewed on the school website at www.tolasns.com We wish all our 6th class pupils every good wish as they take the next step in their education journey.
- Thank you to all the pupils in St Tolas who have been amazing in the past few weeks while the school has been closed. We have loved seeing your pictures and work that you have sent in. Again please check out the school website where there have been lots of updated pictures including some from Active Schools Week last week!
- Well done to Juniors, Seniors, 1st and 2nd classes who took part in Zoom link ups last Friday and yesterday. It was wonderful to see so many of you. You look so well and many of you have grown. It was great to hear all your news. We heard that lots of pupils can now cycle without stabilisers, many lost teeth or have wobbly teeth and everyone can’t wait to see their friends again. We can’t wait to see you either!!
- We will be busy in the summer as we will be carrying out renovations to the senior yard, drainage work and associated groundworks. We are very excited to see this project finally start and it will make a great difference to the space we will have available for the pupils to use.
- We are planning for a full return to school on 31st Aug as per school calendar. We are still waiting on guidance from the Department of Education on how this will happen. Once we have clarity on this we will be in touch with you to let you know.
- We are still finalising booklists and stationary for all classes. As usual the school will buy all books and we will ask you to pay by the middle of September. The booklists for your info will be emailed out soon. Also we will be setting up an online payment facility for books before we return to school in August.
- I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to all the staff of St Tolas who have worked so hard during the past year and especially during the school closure. It has been a challenging and stressful time for all and the staff have been dedicated, innovative and professional as they have worked hard in providing support to our pupils. I would also like to thank all parents/guardians and families for your support throughout the past year. It is very important that both families and staff get a chance to recharge the batteries and get a good rest before we return to school.
Slán agus beannacht
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 18th June 2020June 18th, 2020
We hope you are keeping well as we are almost at the end of the current school year. Our news this week is as follows
- We are still waiting for guidelines and clarification from the Department of Education re return to school for the coming year. As soon as we have this we will be in touch with you. Please note that this update may be during the summer holidays.
- The school calendar for the school year 2020/21 has been approved by the Board of Management. Please find a copy attached with this newsletter and it will be published on the school website also. Pupils will return to school on Mon 31st August.
- School reports were posted out to all families last Friday. If you did not receive your report please contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 061 362894.
- Ború Sports will have school tracksuits for sale over the summer. If you need to order a tracksuit please contact them directly. Prices and contact details are being sent out with this newsletter.
- For the school year 20/21 teachers have been allocated to the following classes
Junior Infants – Lorraine Connolly, Junior Infants – Lisa Hackett, Senior Infants – Fiona Burke, 1st Class – Karen Riordan, 2nd Class – Lorna O’ Neill, 3rd Class – Diana Fleming ( Kelly Ann Brady will cover maternity leave until Ms Fleming returns) 4th Class – Noreen Vaughan, 5th Class – David Quinn, 6th Class – Siobhan Kelleher Special Education teachers – Clare Fitzsimons, Ciara Cleary, Edel Halliday, Maria Hehir and Amanda Corry.
- Cofirmation for St Tolas will take place on 30th July at 11a.m. in Mary Immaculate. We have no dates for First Communion yet but it is likely that it will go ahead in September.
- The 6th class graduation will take place next Tues 23rd June at 11a.m. via Zoom. The link will be sent out to 6th class parents.
- Well done to 3rd and 4th class who attended a zoom link up last Friday. We have further link ups scheduled for 3rd, 2nd and 1st classes this week. Please note that it can be difficult sometimes to get everyone admitted.
- We really need to get the rental books back before the end of the current school year to check them and ensure we will have enough books for classes in September. To ensure we adhere to social distancing protocols we will arrange a drop off system for tomorrow Fri 19th June from 1p.m. to 4p.m. This will be similar to the book collection we did a few weeks ago. Junior Infants do not need to return any books. Seniors-2nd class have guided reading books only to return. 3rd -6th class have textbooks and also AR books to return. You can nominate another adult to return them for you if necessary. We would appreciate that only one adult drops them off to maintain social distancing protocols and to protect staff. The times allocated are as follows
- Pupils whose surnames start with A- G 1p.m.-2p.m.
- Pupils whose surnames start with H-O 2p.m.-3p.m.
- Pupils whose surnames start with P-Z 3p.m-4p.m.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 21st May 2020May 21st, 2020
We hope this finds you well. Our news this week is as follows
- As of last Monday 18th May school staff may now access the building for organisation and distribution of remote learning. The advice given to schools is that where possible school staff continue to work from home. The number of staff accessing the building at one time is still limited and strict social distancing and hygiene measures must be followed. If you need to contact your child’s teacher please use the email provided by the teacher. You can contact the school also through the office email at email@example.com We will also now be able to monitor the phone. The number is 061 362894. Please leave a message if it is unattended and we will reply as soon as possible.
Thursday Note 14th May 2020May 14th, 2020
We hope you and your family are well and safe. Our news this week is as follows
- Thank you to all parents who completed our online survey last week. The information provided is very useful for planning and supporting our pupils over the remainder of the school year. Please find a report on the survey results attached.
Thursday Note 7th May 2020May 7th, 2020
We hope you are keeping well and safe. Our news this week is as follows
- Following the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar’s announcement last Friday we now know that schools will not re-open until September. St Tola’s will continue to support our pupils remotely. Guidance and work for each week will be emailed on a Friday for the following week. Teachers can be contacted on their individual emails which are included in their work each week. From the 18th May school staff will be permitted in the building for the purpose of supporting remote learning while adhering to social distancing measures. At present all staff are working from home.