THURSDAY NOTE 12th NOVEMBERNovember 12th, 2020
We hope you are well this week. Our news is as follows
- We have been very busy in all classes this week marking Science week.
- Junior Infants have been learning about magnets. They did an experiment on dancing raisins to learn about forces and an experiment with skittles to learn about colour dispersion.
- Senior Infants did an experiment on making a cloud and were learning about solids, liquids and dissolving.
- 1st class have been exploring the Antarctic and learning about magnetism in relation to the earth.
- 2nd class did a skittles in water experiment to learn the science of why colours do not mix. They also did a bubbling magic potion to find out about the chemical reaction using bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, food colouring and glitter. Later this week they will be exploring sinking and floating and a leakproof bag experiment to see if polymer chains work together to prevent the water from leaking out of a bag even when we pierce it with pencils.
- 3rd classes have been measuring pulses, making volcanoes, and making spaghetti towers!
- 4th class have made lava lamps and carried out experiments on sound and heat both in school and at home.
- 5th class have been exploring liquid density and making balloon cars.
- 6th class have carried out experiments on density, keeping hands clean (very relevant!!) and discover your tap water.
- 6th class also did a number of webinars this week. For some photos and more detail why not follow us on twitter at StTolasNS
- If you wish to order the Folen’s Christmas annuals please see details on flyers going home tomorrow. If you wish to order these can be paid for via Aladdin. The annuals will be delivered well before Christmas.
- Following guidance from the Department of Education and Skills it will not be possible to have our usual face to face parent/teacher meetings this year due to Covid restrictions. We will schedule parent/teacher meeting via phone in January. Dates and times allocated will be sent out in the New year. If you have any concern re your child or you wish to talk to your child’s teacher at any stage please either ring or email the office to arrange a time to speak with your child’s teacher.
- Fr. Arnie met with 2nd class yesterday via Zoom to link in with the pupils in their Communion year. We do not have any dates yet for 1st Communion or Confirmation next year. It is very difficult for the parish to plan these ceremonies at the moment. As soon as there are dates we will let you know.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal