Thur Note 14th Jan 2021January 14th, 2021
I hope you are all keeping well and safe in these difficult and challenging times. Our news this week is as follows
- Thank you to all staff members who came into school last week and earlier this week to organise books and materials for distribution to all pupils. Thank you to all parents/guardians who collected the books on Tuesday last. It was lovely to see so many of you and we all hope we can return to school as normal in the near future.
- Congratulations to Ms. Clare Fitzsimons who has been appointed Deputy Principal of St. Tola’s N.S. Clare has been a dedicated, committed and enthusiastic teacher in St Tola’s since she joined the staff in 2009. I have no doubt but she will bring the same commitment to the role of Deputy Principal. I look forward to working even more closely with Clare in the coming years and I wish her every success.
- Well done to everyone on a great start to remote learning this week. We understand that every family’s circumstances are different. If you are experiencing any difficulties or challenges with any learning activities please contact us as soon as possible. You can contact your class teacher via their own dedicated email or through seesaw. You can contact the school via firstname.lastname@example.org The office will not be staffed next week as we are all required under Level 5 restrictions to work from home where possible. The phone will be checked regularly but this may not be daily. Email is the preferred option for contacting us. If you do ring please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as we can. Please remember that this is a stressful time for everyone and we do not want schoolwork to be adding to your stress. Please contact us if we can help in any way.
- We have organised regular weekly check ins with each class via Zoom. The schedule for these check ins is as follows
Junior Infants – Wednesdays 11a.m.
Senior Infants – Wednesdays 12p.m.
1st Class – Thursdays 11a.m.
2nd Class – Thursdays 2p.m.
3rd Class – Thursdays 12p.m (both 3rd classes)
4th Class – Wednesdays 1p.m.
5th Class – Thursdays 1p.m.
6th Class – Fridays 11a.m.
Whole school Cruinniu (assembly) – Fridays 10a.m.
Please find attached guidelines for ALL pupils and parents when using Zoom for class or school linkups.
I hope you all stay safe over the next week.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 17th December 2020December 17th, 2020
We hope you are well as we are all on the countdown to the end of this first term. Our news this week is as follows
- A huge thank you to all in our school community who supported Christmas Jumper day last Friday in aid of Laura Lynn Hospice. As a staff we were blown away by the outstanding generosity of our pupils. It was lovely to see everyone in their Christmas jumpers/hats etc A total of €820.00 was raised. A huge thank you to Ms Hehir for promoting this across the school.
- The Parents’ Association have organised a raffle for each class with the prize of a lovely hamper. Thank you to our past pupil Maia Marren O’ Callaghan who has crocheted beautiful Christmas decorations for some of the hampers. Tickets are currently on sale and cost €2 each or 3 for €5 . These can be purchased from your child’s teacher. The draw for each hamper will take place on Tues 22nd Dec.
- Juniors to 2nd class have put together a short performance with a Christmas theme. These are being shared with parents and your class teacher will let you know how this will happen. I had a sneak peek and am so impressed with the great performances. Well done everyone.
- Next Tuesday 22nd Dec we will hold our virtual Carol Service for Covid times. Each class will take part from their own classroom and will have a short performance of a song or poem to share with all. We would like to invite parents to attend virtually also. If you would like to attend please email the office at email@example.com by Monday next at 2p.m. and we will forward the link to you. It doesn’t replace our lovely carol service but we still hope to spread some Christmas cheer before we break up for the holidays.
- A big thank you to Ms Kelly-Ann Brady who finished teaching 3rd class tomorrow. I would like to thank her for all her hard work, dedication, patience and good humour in her time with us here in St Tola’s. I wish her every success for the future. Ms Fleming will return from maternity leave on Monday next and I know she is excited to get to know her new class a little before Christmas.
- As we come to the end of our first term back this school year I would like to sincerely thank all our dedicated and hardworking staff for their commitment to the pupils in our school in difficult and trying times as we all navigate our way through the restrictions imposed by Covid. I would like to thank all our parents/guardians for your understanding and co-operation over the past few months. I would also like to say a huge Go raibh mile maith agat to every single pupil for the way they have handled the changes to school life. I wish every member of our school community a safe, happy and healthy Christmas. We will close for our holidays on Tuesday next 22nd Dec at 12p.m. St Tola’s will re-open to pupils on 6th January at 9a.m. Nollaig faoi mhéin is faoi mhaise daoibh go léir.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 10th DecemberDecember 14th, 2020
We hope you are well this week despite the weather! Our news this week is as follows
- Tomorrow we are having a Christmas Jumper Day. If pupils like they may wear a Christmas jumper or tshirt to school with their school tracksuit. Please do not go out and buy a Christmas jumper specially for this. If they have a hairband or a hat they can wear that instead. If they do not wish to wear any Christmas clothes that is perfect too. If pupils like they can bring in a small donation and all monies raised will go to the LauraLynn hospice for very sick children. This is entirely voluntary.
- Congratulations to Rebekah in 1st class whose Credit Union Art entry has been awarded a prize in the Clare competition. Rebekah’s art will now represent Shannon Credit Union and Clare in the next round of the competition. Well done Rebekah!
- The Parents’ Association have organised a raffle for each class with the prize of a lovely hamper. Thank you to our past pupil Maia Marren O’ Callaghan who has crocheted beautiful Christmas decorations for some of the hampers. Tickets will go on sale next Monday and will cost €2 each or 3 for €5. These can be purchased from your child’s teacher. The draw for each hamper will take place on Tues 22nd Dec.
- Thank you to Skycourt Shopping Centre who have donated a colouring pack for every pupil in Juniors, Seniors, 1st and 2nd classes. These are being given out today.
- Well done to every class who are busy doing Christmas art and craft at the moment. There are gorgeous pictures and decorations in every class and around the school.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald Principal
Christmas Jumper DayDecember 14th, 2020
We had Christmas Jumper Day today in St Tolas in aid of LauraLynn Children’s hospice.
Thursday Note 3rd DecDecember 3rd, 2020
It’s hard to believe that we have reached December already. 2020 has been a challenging year for
everyone. Our news this week is as follows:
• Seadhn Hillary Pharmacy wanted to let us to let you know that they have stocks of the flu vaccine for ages 2-12. This is administered via nasal spray and is free. It can be administered in his pharmacy also.
• We hope that all pupils loved their surprise last week of a selection box. Thank you to the Parents’ Association who funded this treat for every pupil. We hope they all enjoyed it.
• As we move from Level 5 restrictions to Level 3 restrictions we are all asked to keep up our guard with Covid 19. We really appreciate parents/guardians wearing facemasks when dropping off or collecting and would ask that you continue this practise to keep us all safe. If
your child has any Covid like symptoms please keep them at home and check with your G.P before they return to school. We had correspondence from Tusla Education Support Service this week telling us that they are aware that the requirements to adhere to public health
guidelines in relation to Covid-19 symptoms and testing is having a significant impact on attendance rates in general. The advice is if your child has symptoms or has been told to isolate as a result of being a close contact keep them at home. Follow all guidance given either by your G.P or Public health doctors. We really appreciate your support to date with
• The orders for the Christmas annuals have been sent off and as soon as they are delivered to the school we will give them out.
• Due to Covid guidelines we will not be in a position to hold our usual Christmas concerts or carol service this year and invite parent/guardians to attend. We will hold a virtual carol service on 22nd Dec this year and parents/guardians can attend virtually. We will send out details of how to access this event closer to the time.
• A date for your diary – St Tola’s will close for Christmas holidays at 12p.m. on 22nd December.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal