Thursday Note 22nd OctoberOctober 22nd, 2020
It’s hard to believe we are at the mid term break already. Our news this week is as follows
- Well done to 5th class who made amazing scarecrows this week. We were asked by Shannon Heritage to make a scarecrow for display in Bunratty Folk Park for Halloween. 5th class made 5 scarecrows – one by each pod in the class and the other classes got to vote for their favourite one. This one was collected by Shannon heritage yesterday. Please check out the pictures on the school website at www.tolasns.com. Great work 5th class!
- Over mid-term we will be carrying out additional drainage works and tarmac to the side of the school near 2nd class and near Junior Infants to improve access for everybody. It will be great to get this done before Winter truly sets in.
- As we only received one expression of interest for the parent nominee for the Board of Management there is no need to carry out a ballot. I am delighted to welcome Annmarie Kelly onto the Board as a parent nominee. Annmarie will serve for the remainder of the current term which ends on 30th Nov 2023.
- Well done to 3rd class and 5th class who have taken part in the Banner Challenge over the past few weeks. The pupils had to run/walk 10 km over a few days. They broke it down to 1km a day. 5th class got a medal and cert for their efforts and 3rd class have just completed the challenge today.
- As we have now moved to level 5 Covid 19 restrictions across the country we ask that ALL parents/guardians/childminders wear a mask when on the school grounds – dropping off or collecting. Thank you to everyone who has been wearing the masks the past two days. It is greatly appreciated by all the staff here in St Tola’s.
- We fully expect to re-open after mid-term on 2nd November. However, just in case the public health advice changes all teachers will send home some copies and textbooks over mid-term. This will ensure pupils have some essentials if the guidance around schools staying open changes.
- Pupils may dress up tomorrow in their Halloween costumes if they so wish. Please make sure they are warm and maybe put some layers underneath. We will be going outside if the weather allows at both breaks.
- St Tola’s will close for mid-term tomorrow Fri 23rd Oct at 2.40p.m. The school will re-open on Monday 2nd November at 9a.m. I wish all staff and their families a restful mid-term and I thank all staff members for their dedication and professionalism since we returned to school. It has not been easy getting used to all the necessary changes for the sake of everyone’s health. I also wish all our pupils and their families a lovely mid-term. Thank you for your co-operation with all the new measures put in place. As we are all in Level 5 it will be a different mid-term than usual. Stay safe and keep socially distant. Limit your contacts to your own family bubble. I look forward to seeing everybody when we return on 2nd November.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
5th Class SCARECROWSOctober 22nd, 2020
5th class made scarecrows this week in school. They are on display at the top of the yard each day. One of our scarecrows was chosen to be displayed outside Bunratty Castle in the run up to Halloween.
Thursday Note 15th October 2020October 15th, 2020
We hope you are well this week. Our news this week is as follows
- We will be accepting enrolments for Junior Infants for next year Sept 2021 from next week. Applications for enrolment may be downloaded from the school website at www.tolasns.com or email the office at email@example.com and we can send the form out to you. Applications will be accepted up until the end of January 2021.
- Thank you to all parents/guardians for your continued support with our Covid guidelines. As a staff we are currently planning in case of a full or partial closure at some time in the future. Please note we are NOT closing at present. We are anxious to ensure that every pupil can access online learning IF a class or school has to close for a period of time. We have school laptops that we can lend to families if required. Please email the office if you would like to have the use of a school laptop in the event of a class or school closure in the future.
- As next Friday 23rd October is our last day before our Halloween break we usually allow pupils to dress up in costumes. We will continue to do this again this year. I even think some of our teachers might be dressing up too!!! Please make sure that your child is warm and can go out into the yard in their costume. If they do not wish to dress up that is fine also and pupils can just wear their uniform or tracksuit.
- 3rd and 4th Classes had an online workshop on Monday with author of “The Secret Dragon” and “Class Act”, Debbie Thomas. The event was organised as part of Shannon Library’s Book month and the children really enjoyed listening to Debbie and asking her lots of interesting questions. She did a wonderful writing workshop with the children and many of the pupils are inspired by her and hope to follow in her footsteps. Also Shannon library have kindly sourced almost 40 of Debbie’s novels from various libraries around the country for the children to read, which they are thoroughly enjoying!
- We are very excited that our Junior Infants will be joining us this week for our Zoom Cruinniu (assembly) tomorrow. We are looking forward to seeing them this week.
- The school will be closed from Monday 26th October for the week for our mid-term break. St Tolas will reopen on Monday 2nd Nov as usual. We thank all our staff for their tremendous efforts in keeping our school safe for all our pupils. As we move into further restrictions we are sure you as parents are also sacrificing many visits, trips, parties, sleep overs and family occasions in order to keep our school Covid 19 free. We thank you for being so considerate of the safety of all our students and staff.
Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
Thursday Note 8th OctoberOctober 8th, 2020
I hope this finds you well on this lovely October day. Our news this week is as follows
- Well done to Junior Infants who have started homework this week. They were very excited about this. Thank you to the Junior Infant parents who have accessed the homework through the Aladdin Connect app.
- There has been one small change to the school calendar for this year. We are now closed on Fri 4th June instead of Tues 8th June. To access the updated calendar please visit the school website at www.tolasns.com
- The Chairperson of the Board of Management sent out a letter to all parents yesterday via email. This letter informs you that there is a vacancy on the Board of Management for a parent nominee (mother). If you are interested in being nominated and standing for election please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday 14th October next.
- Please make sure that your child has a coat and that it is labelled with their name. We will be outside as much as possible at breaktimes and lunchtimes in order to ventilate the classrooms.
- Well done to Senior Infants who performed their poems and songs as Gaeilge last Friday at our Cruinniu on Zoom. Seniors did a great job. Maith sibh!
Kind regards, Mary Dunlea Fitzgerald, Principal
FIRST HOLY COMMUNION CONGRATULATIONSOctober 3rd, 2020
On Saturday 26th September after a long wait our third class pupils made their First Holy Communion. Thankfully the weather was beautiful and a great day was had by all. A big well done to the boys and girls who were fantastic on the day. We are very proud of you all!